Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Fat Stack of Bodhi Linux

When I first started preparing Bodhi ISO images almost two and a half years ago I set out with the goal of providing a clutter free operating system powered by the latest Enlightenment desktop. We call what we do "minimalist" meaning it doesn't come with a whole lot by default. This ideology isn't for everyone, though. Thankfully, the power of choice is something that greatly empowers free software development.

Today, I would like to offer a bit more choice for Bodhi users. I would like to share with you all my "friends and family" version of Bodhi Linux. You can grab the ISO image for this fat stack of Bodhi on source forge here. I call it my "friends and family" disc because when I am pressed for time I can't always sit down and install all the extra software "normal" people need to use their PC. This image allows me to skip the installing software step after I install the operating system.

This ISO image is something I've been working on and using as an install media for my non-personal systems for awhile now and I think it is finally in a state that I am happy sharing it. It is simply a Bodhi 2.x branch live/install CD powered by a Linux 3.5 kernel and the latest E17.1 Enlightenment desktop. It comes with a bunch of software pre-installed that should keep most people happy:


This is a 32bit disc image and no I will not be preparing a similar 64bit disc. I intend this disc for home systems, for which I recommend 32bit operating systems. Users installing from this disc can get support on the Bodhi Forums just as if they had installed from the normal disc.

~Jeff Hoogland

13 comments:

  1. Just to clarify, is this more or less stock bodhi, plus one of the application sets, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The *exact* collection of software pre-installed is not a single application pack. But yes this is just a base Bodhi disc with extra software/media codecs/flash player/java pre-installed.

      Delete
  2. That is a great idea but please keep the original Bodhi iso's. That is the thing that makes Bodhi different from other distros, to keep it simple and to be a small size iso image. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This image in no way shape or form affects the normal/main Bodhi release. It is simply hosted on the same source forge page. As I mentioned in the post - this is just a new option for people exploring Bodhi/E17.

      Delete
  3. e17 is dead dude....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I beg to differ.....

      Bodhi, PCLinuxOS, Snowlinux, Sabayon, SparkyLinux, MacPup. Just a few distros that have enlightenment versions available.

      Delete
    2. I certainly hope E17 is not dead! After trying it, I don't imagine ever going back to KDE or XFCE.

      Delete
  4. Thank You,

    Just what I need. I think its great idea to have two versions. One minimalist for those who want to control and install just what they want and another that comes with what 'normal' as you put it, people need to have a working pc and want to avoid the time and energy installing and tweaking everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having an edition with preinstalled software is a great idea, Jeff. I've seen reviewers (unfairly) deduct points from Bodhi reviews because it doesn't include apps, even though two different collections are just a post-install download away.

    The name is much better, too. Bloati was hideously ugly, and sounded like a put-down nickname for Windows or a distro like Ultimate Edition!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame Bloathi isnt updated to 2.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff,
    Very well done. Great distro for beginners. Only thing I need to install for my use is skype.
    I am going to install on my parent's computer.

    I have a question though. How frequently this will be updated? Just the same protocol to update (sudo apt-get update?). Will this be done in parallel to the existing minimalistic Bodhi?
    In any case, I love the minimalistic Bodhi which I am using on my personal laptop. Love it more than anyother distro.
    Thanks a lot for this wonderful distros.
    linuxlover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly a normal Bodhi install with extra software. It gets updates at the exact same time because of this.

      Delete
  8. Great. Thanks again.
    I have already installed it on the desktop and loving every bit of it.
    Its only bloated in terms of applications and running as smooth as minimal Bodhi.
    I have seen about this on Bodhi forum and of course on your blog too. Will this be shown explicitly on Bodhi home page to reach more people?

    linuxlover

    ReplyDelete